Laws, Purchasing, and Everything Else You Need to Know

If you’ve been considering purchasing a silencer or sound suppressor, the purchase  process may seem intimidating. After all, every online resource you find seems to suggest that the process isn’t just tedious, but incredibly complicated as well.

However, this simply isn’t the case. In fact, purchasing your own silencer requires less paperwork than you might think.

To clear up all the conflicting information available from most resources, we’ve put together a guide to ensure you not only know whether or not it’s legal for you to own a silencer, but also understand your purchase options as well.

Why would anyone want a suppressor?
A silenced firearm is eminently more enjoyable to shoot than one without a suppressor. Suppressors generally increase the accuracy of a host firearm while reducing recoil and eliminating up to 90% of the muzzle signature. Shooters are able to concentrate more on breath control and trigger pull when they are not subjected to the fatigue and distraction of a deafening, bright, muzzle report. Beginning shooters are typically not intimidated when introduced to the shooting sports with a suppressed firearm, and are able to easily hear instructions given to them by trainers as the report of a host firearm is reduced to below the OSHA guideline level for hearing damage. Suppressed firearms are also less likely to disturb any people, livestock, or wildlife that may be in close proximity to where you shoot.

Who can own a suppressor?
Anyone who is a legal U.S. resident, 21 years of age and older, a non-felon, and lives in one of the 42 states that allow private ownership of suppressors.



No, you do not need a license to purchase a suppressor but you do have to pay a one-time $200 tax for each suppressor you purchase. You also have to live in a state where suppressors are legal and have to meet certain criteria to be eligible to own one.

Determine whether or not your state allows you to own a suppressor. Suppressors are legal but they are regulated on a per-state basis. However, the National Firearms Act (NFA) branch of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) ultimately controls any transfers, and all suppressors are registered by this branch. Individuals, corporations, and trusts can legally purchase and possess silencers in 42 states. However, if you are a dealer, manufacturer, peace officer, or a law enforcement agency or other government agency, there are additional states where you can own a suppressor.


You can have your dealer contact us directly to order your suppressor and pay him for the suppressor, transfer fees and tax stamp


1. Choose a product.
2. Locate a Class 3 FFL Dealer in your state.

  1. Negotiate a price for your dealer to transfer your suppressor to you. You are responsible for your Class 3 FFL Dealers FEES to do the Form 4 transfer (most Class 3 FFL Dealers charge $50.00 – $125.00 for this service) and the $200.00 Tax Stamp FEE.

  2. Have your dealer send us his FFL and SOT (class 3 license) to us, online or fax. We will then register your dealer on our web site and contact you with a payment code.

  3. After the monetary transaction takes place on our web site to pay for the suppressor, it will be assigned for transfer on Form 3 with shipment to your Dealer, ensuring that you have a product serial number. We will Form 3 transfer and ship your suppressor to your Class 3 FFL Dealer. At that point your dealer will help you complete the Form 4 transfer.

  4. Once you have an assigned product serial number, your Class 3 FFL Dealer will then give you the ATF Form 4 (5320.4), Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm, in duplicate with the serial number of the product filled out in the appropriate section. You must fill out the rest of the form in duplicate.

  5. You will send in a $200 check or money order with the completed application, along with a recent photo and fingerprint cards.



(This step is the same no matter how you purchase your suppressor)

1. Obtain the ATF Form 4 (5320.4) (Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm) from your dealer in duplicate. Some information should be pre-filled by your dealer, such as the dealer’s name and address, the model of the suppressor you are purchasing, the overall length of the suppressor, the caliber of the suppressor, the serial number of the suppressor, and the manufacturer’s information. Make sure the dealer signs the appropriate fields. Remember to complete all information in duplicate.

2. Fill out the required information on the front of the form, including your name and address. Complete the back by answering the questions and stating the reason you are acquiring the suppressor. Sign and date the back of the form. Again, remember to complete all information in duplicate.

3. Affix a recent color passport-sized photograph of yourself on the back of each copy of the form.

4. Ink up your fingers and get two copies of FBI fingerprint cards (FBI Form FD-258) that you will send in with the two duplicates of Form 4.

5. Fill out the ATF Form 5330.20 (Certification of Compliance). This form does not have to be in duplicate.

6. Place both completed copies of Form 4, the two copies of FBI fingerprint cards, and the completed Certification of Compliance form in an envelope, along with a check or money order (payable to Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives) for $200 and mail to the address listed on Form 4. We advise that you use a check and not a money order so you can see when the ATF cashes your check. This is a great way to confirm if the form actually arrived and is being processed. Otherwise, you may just be waiting for two to six months for approval, when, in fact, your paperwork never arrived.

7. After the ATF approves Form 4, they will put a stamp on one of the two copies you sent them and then send it to the dealer where you purchased the suppressor. The dealer will then notify you that the paperwork has returned and that the suppressor is ready to pick up.